The appetite for giant open source
Technologically, open source solutions are an inexhaustible source of innovations that interest the big publishers. There are some years, VMware has offered SpringSource (specialist application frameworks and administrative tools) for $ 420 million. Another example Zimbra falls into the purse of Yahoo! in 2007 for $ 350 million.
Here are five acquisitions that have particularly impressed people
– Oracle / Sun: $ 7.4 billion in 2009
– Attachmate / Novell: $ 2.2 billion in 2010
– Sun / MySQL: $ 1 billion in 2008
– Red Hat / Cygnus Solutions: $ 674 million in 1999
– Citrix / XenSource: $ 500 million in 2007.